The Geelong Presbyterian Girl’s College was founded in 1920 by local Ministers keen to see a place for girls education in Geelong with Presbyterian ideals and traditions. It was first located at ‘Roslyn’, a property on the northwest corner of Elizabeth Street (now Roebuck Street) and La Trobe Terrace also incorporating the former Newtown Ladies College.
In the search for more space the College found a new home at Morongo, a bluestone homestead at Bell Post Hill. The College relocated there in 1927 where students and staff could enjoy the open space and views over Geelong and Corio Bay.
The first Headmistress of the school, Miss Gertrude Pratt, along with the College’s founding Council, chose the school colours: navy blue, green and gold. ‘Sint Lucernae Ardentes’ (‘Let your lamps be burning’) became the
school motto emblazoned in the college crest.
After 74 years, Morongo Presbyterian Girls’ College closed in 1994. The Geelong College is custodian of Morongo records and the heritage collection formerly held by the Morongo Old Collegians Association.
For more historical information about Morongo and to view issues of The Luceraen from 1921 to 1994, please click here.
The Morongo Award was first offered in 2001 with funds raised by the Morongo Old Collegians Association Inc (MOCA).
The Morongo Rose, planted in the gardens of Mossgiel Boarding House in Noble Street, is one of the many legacies of the Morongo Presbyterian Girls College.
The Geelong College does not organise Morongo Year Group Reunions, however we can provide a list of names for a particular year group.
Every year The Geelong College hosts a lunch for Morongo Old Collegians in their Dining Hall in Talbot Street, Newtown.
The Margaret Shannon Memorial Cup is a current Geelong College award and is held in perpetuity by the College.
The Geelong College is proud to house much of the Morongo memorabilia in the Morongo Room at Mossgiel.
The Lucernian was the school magazine of the Morongo Presbyterian Girls’ College and was published from 1921 to 1994.
The Official Newsletter of Morongo Old Collegians, “The Morongo” is edited by Ann McAllister (MOC 1982) and is distributed every six months via email.